Have you ever been asked to come up with a project name or a business name and found it really difficult?
It is definitely a difficult process but when you hit on the winner – an original that is just you and unique to everything your want to do the rewards that spiral from that are great!!
I wanted to share some tools I use to help come up with names. I’ve also used these with clients too!
Because I work creatively every day I have never really thought about it but my partner suggested these would be useful to you so here you go! ✨
This is the one I use the most…
a. The post-it note technique
- Grab a pile of post-it notes
- Write with your favourite pen all the words that come to mind when you think of your project plus your own name and any nicknames- one per post it.
- Keep writing until your completely out of ideas
- Now write one post it per concept imagining your idea was an animal, insect, plant, person, feeling, country, food, vehicle, what type of weather would it be?
- Now choose your top 10 💜try not to overthink it, just react to the ones you connect most to!
- Put them together
- Order, reorder…pause for 2minutes…set a timer if you like!
- Do you have anything?
- If you do write down your top 3
- Send to 10 of your contacts for feedback
here are some others…
b. The thought shower technique
imilar to the above but for this one, you put your focus of your project in a circle in the middle of the paper. What is it? What does it do? Who is it for?
- You then write all the words that come to mind around it.
- Circle or highlight the ones that stand out
- Do you have something?
C. Thesaurus Technique<<<<<<<<<<<
e techniques above type your words into a thesaurus
- Write down any new words of inspiration
- You can also try words in other languages
D. Google Image Technique<<<<<<<<<<<
After trying one of the techniques above, type your top words into google images
2. Save and print the images that most appeal to you
3. Stick them in your journal and keep referring back…
E. Meditation technique<<<<<<<<<<
f you have a regular meditation technique you might want to try this. Quieting the ‘monkey mind’ can be so useful to help clear space for the ‘answer’ to come.
- Find a peaceful space, sit with your back against the wall cross legged or if your comfortable in the middle of the room
- Close your eyes
- Visualise yourself finding clarity
- Imagine how you’ll feel when you come up with your business/ project name
- If any unwelcome or unhelpful thoughts come up just acknowledge them and let them go.
- Sit for up to 20 minutes
- Write down your thoughts
- Do this as many times as you feel useful
Let me know what happens! ✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨